12.03.2009

I've been riding the bus for the past 3 months...specifically the 15 which is a straight shot down Colfax to downtown Denver. The 15 bus and Colfax Avenue are an integral part of the history of Denver. The 15 bus that I ride is infamous for what a passenger one day called "the freak show." There's always someone or something interesting happening on the ride. Taking the bus to work is a 45 minute chore. I like to observe what's going on around me with a soundtrack--some music that I bring along to make the rides go faster.

Some days the bus is packed with people crammed in the isles. Some days its only me. One day a woman got on the bus and promptly fell asleep on the shoulder of a stranger blocking him into his seat. The stranger acted as though this was normal, but looked around with a glance to other passengers in a look of dismay. When it was time for him to get off the bus the man awkwardly moved the woman stepping over her and rushing out the door. Another day a woman with no teeth and balding dyed red hair got on the bus singing nonsense words in a baby voice as loud as she could. When a passenger asked her to be quiet, the woman began cursing at everyone who looked in her direction. On another occasion, a woman with a display of handmade earrings casually bumped a man with an oxygen tank. The man immediately began cursing at the woman. The woman apologized and was responded to with more cursing. The woman quickly stated, "Fine, then I don't apologize," and walked out the front door followed by the man who continued to curse. On occasion I'll see someone I recognize from previous bus rides. There's no protocol for how to respond. I usually smile and walk to a seat that is empty. There's an unspoken understanding that what happens on the 15 is just a part of life in Denver.

Right now, my soundtrack for the bus includes an artist called Brett Dennen. When observing the passengers on the 15, I like to hear the words of one of his chorus lines, "Darlin' do not fear what you don't really know." It helps me to remember that my observances are just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment