10.27.2010


I recently learned that November is National Epilepsy Awareness Month. Purple Ribbons display your support of those living with epilepsy throughout this time.

Epilepsy is something that has effected me in many ways throughout my life. When I was younger I had at least 1 documented seizure and was in the hospital for several days, on daily medication, and had regular doctors appointments to control the symptoms. About a year ago, I was in the emergency room again after my friends realized I didn't know where I was or what was happening. Since then I have regularly seen a nuerologist and been diagnosed with epilepsy. When I'm actually having a seizure I don't remember much. I remember a euphoric feeling. I remember others taking care of me and not caring much about anything, but feeling safe and taken care of. After a seizure I feel increased anxiety. Sometimes depressed and scared about what is unknown.

Seizures are fascinating and effect everyone differently. I have personally experienced what are known as absence and grand mal (or clonic tonic) seizures. The reason is unknown. Neurological science is still excting and new. I've tried to continue with life in a way that is strong and independent. I'm not interested in using my seizures an excuse. I've also spent some time learning about other achievers that have had documented seizures. I was amazed to learn that Socrates, Julius Caesar, Vincent Van Gogh, Danny Glover, Leo Tolstoy, Sir Isaac Newton, Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, Prince, Harriet Tubman and many others have lived very accomplished lives with epilepsy.

I've decided that throughout the month of November I'm going to post quotes as often as possible from people that lived and thrived living with epilepsy on facebook. I'm encouraged by the fact that epilepsy is not debilitating. Nuerology and brain function is still new and amazing. Understanding of seizures has changed even during my lifetime because of scientific discoveries. That is a scary and encouraging thought at the same time. I am reminded that I have the resources and support to continue to be postive dealing with epilepsy.

If anyone is interested donating to research in epilepsy look up your local chapter of the Epilepsy Foundation. In Colorado the link is
http://www.epilepsy.colorado.org/... Also if you have any questions for me, I'm happy to answer them...

1 comment: