8.27.2009

I've observed that those who choose to live in urban settings often handle many forms of chaos--many people packed into small spaces, lights and noises at all times of day, many points of view and ways of expression... I've come to appreciate the chaos that comes with urban dwelling, and learned to cope with the extra stress that comes with dealing with different personalities and styles, the prevelant shades of gray, the extreme poverty and segregation... I've become even more aware of this contrast living so close to the Rocky Mountains. With majestic nature so close, I am even more aware of the juxtaposition of serene mountains in the background of a city that struggles daily to meet the needs of the human beings that call it home. I see the raw beauty in a city that puts everything out there--the extraordinary, the shocking, the grotesque--for anyone to explore and judge. I attempt through art to make sense of this chaos, not only for my own mental health but to justify my own presence in a society that does not seem to value a culture that is uplifting to every person's life experience. As a result I've learned alot about myself, about others, and about life. This blog is a continuing insight into urban living. I plan to post photos, thoughts, quotes and artwork that have been inspired by living amidst the chaos. I hope that this is thought-provoking for those who view it and look forward to the many deep conversations that I hope will result.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading you, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I remember when you had your first incident in Meridian. It felt good to read about you and where you are.
    You were a lovely child and from reading your blog, I sense that you have not changed.

    Robert Baldwin

    ReplyDelete